USC Clinical Trials Research Produces Self-Study Quality Module to Support Improved Data Quality During Investigator-Initiated Trials

Clinical Trials

University of Southern California (USC) researchers identified the challenge that often investigator-initiated trials (IITs) don’t have the same trial monitoring coverage as industry trials and addressed this gap by developing a self-study module that can be used to cross-train academic researchers in essential concepts and practical approaches to monitoring.

Investigator initiated trials are instrumental in translating academic research into medical product development.  The USC team reports that only about 65% of IITs reported as being monitored—that leaves 35% of all IITs as not monitored—that represents a substantial volume of unmonitored research!

According to a CenterWatch report the number of IITs approached nearly 2,000 by 2002 and declined significant only to start increasing again to 615 by 2014.  836 Research (non-industry) INDs were received by the FDA in 2017.  Of interest, ACRP produced a survey of current IITs practices in 2016.

Observed deficiencies in the quality control of these clinical trials can potentially lead to inadequacies in data accuracy and validity that could lead to significant delays in bringing innovative therapies to patients.

Recent NI...

Note:  If you need assistance with your subscription or would like to discuss a corporate subscription for more than 10 employees please contact us or use the chat (bottom right).

Personal
$5 / Month
Individuals at home that are reading our content for personal health care or other non-professional reasons.
Like a Starbucks a month
Personal - Single Payment
$50 for 1 Year
Individuals - reading for personal reasons who prefer to pay for one year in advance with no recurring billing.
18% discount to monthly
Professional
$12 / Month
Professionals from the healthcare industry who are subscribing on behalf of their company for work reasons.
Way better than coffee