Note that views expressed in this opinion article are the writer’s personal views and not necessarily those of TrialSite.
We have sent an Open Letter to the Editor-in-Chief of the journal “Clinical Infectious Disease” to recommend an investigation and consequent retraction of a highly problematic meta-analysis titled “Ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials” Re: Roman Y M, Burela P A, Paspuleti V, Piscoya A, Vidal J E and Hernandez A V (“Roman et al.). There are a number of identified, material concerns associated with this study that merit the imminent escalation to the journal’s leadership.
An “Accepted Manuscript” in Clinical Infectious Diseases, Roman et al. does not meet the standards of accuracy and integrity that any learned journal should demand. In asserting Conclusions that are not defensible on the evidence presented, it makes no contribution to science or medicine. In its present form, it should be retracted.
Unscrupulous Campaign Against Mounting Ivermectin Evidence
The irony in the authors’ point of view cannot be ignored while they declared:
“in the context of a misinformation infodemic, the dissemination of these results caused confusion for patients, clinicians (in particular those without training in critical reading of the scientific literature) and decision-makers, who may manipulate the information with political interests.”
Yet Roman et al is not the first review of the efficacy of Ivermectin in Covid-19. Other systematic reviews and meta-analyses are available in the public domain. The conclusions of this latest review should mirror those of previous reviews when additional trials are added.
Not Acceptable in Respected Journal
With misreporting of source data, highly selective study inclusion, “cherry picking” of data within included studies, and conclusions that do not follow from the evidence, this article amounts to disinformation.
Disinformation should not be associated with any learned journal of repute. Publication of this article as it stands does a grave disservice to Clinical Infectious Diseases and the good name of Oxford University Press.
Signatories to this letter include:
- Edmund J Fordham MA PhD(Cantab) CPhys CEng FInstP EurIng, EBMC Squared, Northgate House, Upper Borough Walls, Bath BA1 1RG
- Theresa A Lawrie MB BCh PhD, EBMC Squared, Northgate House, Upper Borough Walls, Bath BA1 1RG
- Andrew Bryant MSc, Population Health Sciences Institute, Newcastle University, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 4AX
Further signatories to this open letter include:
Disclaimer: these indicate the personal opinions of the signatories and there is no intention to associate their institutions with them.
- Dr. Darrell Hamm BTh BSc MD CCFP ASTMH, CANADA
- Dr William Ralph, MICGP
- Dr Nyjon Karl Eccles, UK
- Dr Liesel Marcela Holler Sotomayor, MD, MRCA, UK
- Dr Tony Hinton MB ChB, FRCS, Consultant Surgeon, UK
- Dr. Ira Bernstein, Family physician, lecturer, CANADA
- Prof. Hector Carvallo, Professor of Internal Medicine, ARGENTINA
- Dr. Dan Macias Flores, CHILE
- Dr. Francesco Anello MD, ITALY
- Dr Christina Peers MBBS.DRCOG.DFSRH.FFSRH, UK
- Dr. Stephen Malthouse, MD, CANADA
- Prof. Howard C. Tenenbaum DDS, Dip. Perio., PhD, FRCD(C), CANADA/ISRAEL
- Prof. Andrea G Stramezzi MD DDS PhD, ITALY
- Prof. Eleftherios Gkioulekas, PhD, USA
- Dr. Barbara Powell, MD, CANADA
- Dr. Ernesto de Bernardis, MD, Clinical Pharmacologist, ITALY
- Dr. Roberta Lacerda Almeida de Miranda Dantas, Infectious Diseases Specialist, RQE, BRAZIL
- Dr. Robert Banner MD, CANADA
- Dr. Patrick Phillips, MD, CCFP, Family and ER Physician, CANADA
- Agnes Pinnel, MSc., Former CEO Clinical Research, HUNGARY
- Dr Sarah Hill, UK
- Paul E. Marik MD, FCCP, FCCM, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, USA
- Dr. Marc G. Wathelet, Ph.D., BELGIUM
- Dr. Scott Mitchell MBChB MRCS, UK
- Prof. Morimasa Yagisawa, PhD, Visiting Professor, Omura Satoshi Memorial Institute, JAPAN
- Geoffrey Taylor, prof. (retd), AUSTRALIA.
- Prof. Colleen Aldous, Professor of Medical Research, SOUTH AFRICA
- Dr Shashikanth Manikappa, MBBS,MD, DNB, FANZCA, FCA, PG Dip Echo, Specialis Cardiac Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, AUSTRALIA
- Prof. Femi Babalola, MD, NIGERIA
- Dr Haleema Sheikh, MD, UK
- Prof. Thomas Borody, MD, AUSTRALIA
- Dr. Veronica A Mcburnie, MD, UK
- Dr. John McCarthy BSc(Hons), PhD MBChB UK
- Dr. David E. Scheim, PhD, US Public Health Service, USA
- Ellen Guimarães, M.D, cardiologist, BRAZIL
- Flavio A. Cadegiani, MD, MSc, PhD, PI of the AndroCoV trials, BRAZIL
- Dr Manjul Medhi, Mbchb mrcp dtm+h, Consultant in Infectious Diseases and General Medicine, UK
- Dr Rosamond Jones, retired consultant paediatrician, UK
- Dr Jon Rogers MBChB, UK
- Prof. Matjaž Zwitter, MD, PhD. SLOVENIA
Call to Action: Follow the link to read the full letter.