Lisa Howard writing for University of California Davis reports a record number of new ventures during the fiscal 2018 year. Not counting the first half of fiscal 2019, UC Davis has enabled 137 start up ventures. The school reports that their startups target unmet needs in human health with news tests, technology platforms and therapeutics for diagnosing, monitoring and treating a wide variety of conditions and diseases.
UC Davis startups fiscal year 2017-18
Here are 13 of the 16 startups that acquired foundational intellectual property rights from UC Davis during the 2017-18 fiscal year. The other three have elected to remain in “stealth mode” for competitive reasons and are not listed.
- Accelerated Medical Diagnostics —Commercializing companion diagnostic tests that predict cancer patient response to chemotherapy
- ARORCA Therapeutics — Targeting the ROR-gamma receptor for treatment of advanced cancers
- Astrid Pharma —Developing a capsid-based platform for noninvasive mucosal drug delivery
- Buto Corp. — Developing agents for treating obesity, diabetes and related disorders through Shc inhibition for rescue of fatty liver disease
- Dalmoral Pharmaceuticals — Developing drugs that protect mitochondrial function in the context of mitochondrial disease, Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy and Parkinson’s disease
- Eunicera — Developing small molecular inhibitors of androgen receptor variants for treatment of advanced prostate cancer
- Ixchel Pharma — Developing drugs and formulations for treatment of Friedreich’s ataxia, Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy and mitochondrial myopathy
- Meamer —Facilitating music-evoked autobiographical memory (MEAM) sharing and preservation for individuals and groups
- NanoHue — Commercializing a system to be used in sports through which the landing spot of a ball can be precisely identified
- Oomni — Preclinical development of oral small molecule dual Inhibitors of soluble epoxide hydrolase (sEH) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) for the treatment of cancer
- ParaMag TheraNostics —Developing novel amyloid agents targeting the diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
- Safari Health — Commercializing software for psychosis clinics to monitor patients in between appointments and predict symptom worsening for rapid intervention
- Somos Therapeutics — Developing a cell-free, multifactor, regenerative therapeutic for multiple sclerosis, radiation-induced tissue injury, ischemic stroke and aging-related indications